Intense Pulse Light(IPL)
Perceptions Aesthetic Spa takes pride in offering our clients the very best in non-invasive cosmetic treatment options.
For non-surgical skin rejuvenation that is non-invasive and backed by results, light-based therapies can restore the health and natural beauty of your skin without extensive downtime.
At Perceptions Aesthetic Spa we offer a broad range of skin rejuvenation treatments and IPL/Photofacial is one of our most popular, highly-effective skin treatments.
Intense Pulse Light (IPL) therapy, aka photorejuvenation or photofacial, address many common skin concerns including:
- Sun Damage (sun spots),
- Age Spots
- Broken capillaries (blood vessels)
- Spider veins
- Fine lines
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of IPL in Roseville, Fair Oaks, and the greater Sacramento area, please reach out to Perceptions Aesthetic Spa to schedule an appointment at 916-844-0155 or 916-787-0155.
How IPL Treatment Works
The treatment device emits a range of light waves that target hemoglobin or melanin. This light is absorbed and the skin is heated, which causes your body to absorb the unwanted cells and melanin pigment fragments. When the light bypasses the outer layer of skin (epidermis) and gently heats the deeper layers of skin (dermis). Fibroblasts are stimulated in the deeper layers of skin, which causes the production of more collagen and improves texture and fine lines.
Unlike lasers, an IPL device sends out more than one wavelength of pulsating light, and because of this it can treat a range of skin conditions at the same time. After IPL, your skin tone and texture are more even and skin appearance is enhanced.
In order to maximize your results Perceptions recommends clients are proactive in all parts of their skin care (skin fitness) regimen. This includes a recommended medical grade skincare treatment program as well as a daily broadband sunscreen.
Benefits of IPL Treatment
As with any skin rejuvenation treatment, future results will ultimately depend on your age, skin condition, and overall health. There are numerous benefits to IPL, including:
- rejuvenates your skin
- improves overall skin tone and texture
- reverses early signs of aging
- reduces brown spots/dark spots and redness
- shrinks pores
- reverses the appearance of sun damage & acne scars
- works on most skin-types
- is noninvasive and non-surgical
- has minimal downtime
How To Prepare for IPL
- Avoid tanning in the sun, in a tanning bed or using tanning creams 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid makeup on treatment area day of treatment.
- Avoid retinoids, microdermabrasion and peels two weeks prior to treatment.
- Discontinue any medications that would cause excess bleeding.
- With your physician’s approval, you should be past any antibiotic treatments for 10 days.
What to Expect with IPL / Photofacial
All IPL treatments will include a consultation with a medical professional prior to treatment. During the procedure, a handheld device is passed over the skin delivering pulses of broad-spectrum light to the layers of your skin. Since the handheld device employs a light to influence the skin on a molecular level, there is no need for any incisions or injections. You can think of it as a blinking flashlight, sending out scattered wavelengths of light, making an IPL a skin treatment that is very targeted for specific problem areas or skin concerns.
IPL / Photofacial FAQ
- Skin may be red and warm to the touch for 4-6 hours after treatment. You may feel as though you have mild sunburn. This is a normal occurrence and you may apply cool, (not cold) compresses to the treatment site. Do not apply ice or anything frozen directly to the skin.
- In some cases, your skin may be red or bruised for a day or two.
- It is normal for your sun spots, freckles, age spots to get darker for 3-7 days.
- Some crusting can occur in the treatment area and can last up to 10 days.
- Apply a moisturizing cream in the morning and at night. Apply and remove gently.
- Makeup can be worn 24 – 48 hours after treatment.
Most patients will need a series of IPL treatments to obtain optimal results. A microdermabrasion facial or peel may also be recommended 2 – 3 weeks after the final IPL treatment to remove dead skin cells and help reveal the revived layer of skin.
Essential tips on what to do after an IPL treatment are:
- Avoid direct sun exposure and wear daily sunscreen of SPF 30 or more. Reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Treated skin will be sensitive to the sun after an IPL treatment, which could result in a painful sunburn. It is recommended to cover up and wear a large-brimmed hat for at least a week after each session.
- Avoid strenuous exercising, hot baths, showers, or hot tubs for at least 48 hours. Overheating the skin in the first 24 – 48 hours can alter the final results.
- As the skin heals from an IPL treatment, patients should keep their skin moisturized and it should be applied and removed gently.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser during the healing process. Patients should also avoid skin care products that contain benzoyl peroxide, Retin-A, Retinol, or glycolic acids.
- Do not scratch or pick at blemishes that will surface. Allow them to heal and naturally flake off.
- Your provider can tell you when it’s safe to return to your normal skin care routine.
As a good rule ongoing, continue wearing sunscreen and limiting sun exposure. If you are exposed to a lot of sun, many of the underlying conditions you are trying to treat may return.
Individuals with sun damaged or age-related skin concerns. However, there are several skin-types and skin conditions that may not make IPL an ideal option for treatment. A consultation is recommended to learn more.
Please note, IPL requires a consultation with a member of our team prior to treatment. If you are pregnant, have a skin condition or are taking medications to treat a condition, please consult with your physician prior to your consultation.
This skin rejuvenation treatment can be used on multiple areas of the body including the face, arms, Décolletage (upper chest), and other body areas. IPL /photofacials can help correct multiple skin imperfections, such as:
- Sun damage (Sun spots)
- Age spots
- Broken capillaries (blood vessels),
- Facial redness caused by broken capillaries
- Spider veins
- Fine lines
Typically, 3-5 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart are recommended for optimal results. Single treatments can be done, but the results will not be as dramatic as getting a series of treatments.
It is always important to note, that while IPL treatments will help roll back some of the signs of aging, no results are permanent or guaranteed, and at Perceptions Aesthetic Spa, we believe a good skincare regimen designed to fit your specific needs and goals is imperative to your overall skin fitness.
Most patients describe IPL treatment as the snapping of a rubber band on your skin with some stinging but overall a low level of pain during the procedure.
Laser Resurfacing treatments remove the damaged outer layer of the skin to promote growth of collagen and new skin cells. Lasers use only one wavelength of light in a concentrated beam while IPL uses pulses, or flashes, of several types of light to treat multiple skin issues.
Alternatives to IPL / Photofacial Treatment
These options also may treat your skin spots, fine lines, and redness.
Dermasweep is a non-surgical and non-invasive option for improving your skin’s health and appearance. It uses a proprietary three-part process to resurface, infuse, and renew the skin. Dermasweep uses specialized infusion solutions to target skin imperfections. These solutions are paraben-free and formulated using cutting-edge ingredients for skin health, including growth factors, peptides, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and TCA. This micro- resurfacing treatment is one of the most popular treatments our esthetic team offers, and includes monthly membership options.
Microdermabrasion uses a special applicator with an abrasive surface to gently sand away the thick outer layer of the skin to rejuvenate it. It can improve the appearance of sun damage, wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, acne scarring, melasma, and other skin-related concerns and conditions.
Chemical peels are similar to a microdermabrasion or Dermasweep treatment, except they use specially formulated chemical solutions applied to the areas you desire to treat your skincare concerns.
- Laser resurfacing removes the damaged outer layer of the skin to promote growth of collagen and new skin cells. Lasers use only one wavelength of light in a concentrated beam. IPL, on the other hand, uses pulses, or flashes, of several types of light to treat multiple skin issues.
Start Your Journey Toward Rejuvenated Skin Today!
To learn more about IPL Photofacials in the Fair Oaks and Roseville area, we invite you to schedule a consultation with our team members today. Please contact us or call 916-844-0155 or 916-787-0155 to get started